Sunday, January 28, 2018

Eileen Hull's Mini Album Die


I was totally blessed to win Eileen Hulls' Mini Album die in a random draw.  It came in the mail while I was sick.  The first day I was up I opened it and, of course, needed to cut it right away.  The closest thing large enough to cut was the plastic packaging it came in.  At that moment I just wanted to see how it cut....  


After cutting it, I immediately remembered an old technique people use to do on acetate.  I'm pretty sure the technique was called Caught in Crystal.  I covered one side of the die cut plastic with Glossy Accents, dripped on some Distress Re-inker, used my finger to blend the color around in the glue, sprinkled on some glitter, and then covered it all with crumpled, white tissue paper.  If there were an spots that didn't seem wet enough, I added more glue pressing it in with my finger.  At this point it's best to let it air dry completely and then once dry, trim off the excess tissue paper.


Here it is flipped over so you are looking through the plastic.  Beautiful, huh!!!


I had time to finish making the album yesterday.  I decided I would decorate the cover, fill it with watercolor paper, and use it for art journaling.  I'm thinking another scripture journal either to use along with the one I've got started or to use once that one is full. 

With the bright colors I thought black silhouette flowers would look fabulous.  I cut an assortment using the Tim Holtz Wildflower dies by Sizzix.  I thought about stamping the scripture right on the front but decided I really needed to stamp and layer, just in case, as I did not want to mess up what I already had.  I also wanted all that fabulous color to show so I stamped the scripture (Our Daily Bread Designs) onto acetate and then die cut a tag shape using an Elizabeth Craft Designs Tags & More Die set trimming the bottom to be a short tag.  I've edged the piece with gold and added a black, sparkly brad to the hole.  I trimmed the prongs short enough that after pressing them out, they were still hidden by the brad.  I attached all the flowers using Glossy Accents. 


I cut all the pages from 140# watercolor paper using the die and then tied them into the album using Tim Holtz's Craft Thread.  This way, if need be, the pages can be pulled out to work on and then re-inserted. 




This picture is taken with the book open looking at the inside of the cover.


I'm entering this into the Mini Album Makers Challenge for January.


And I'm also entering the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge - Tag It.

13 comments:

Lessa's Lacquers said...

This is truly beautiful Wanda. I adore the caught in crystal technique. As a point of interest, where do you source your biblical and Christian stamps? I’m hoping to make a prayer journal using Eileen’s die and they’re difficult to come by here in uk. (The stampe, that is) again awesome work! Xx

Maura said...

Wanda, I totally love how you took the packaging to make the mini album! Awesome use of materials at hand! It is a delightful little album too. Hope you are feeling better! Thanks so much for joining us for our Monday challenge at SImon Says Stamp! Hugs, Maura

eileen hull said...

These colors are amazing! Love your book!

Krista Hentges said...

I love it!! The technique turned out amazing on the plastic packaging, and I love the color scheme!!

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, what an amazing cover you created for your new album, congratulations on your win too! That technique is fabulous and looks so stunning - I love it 😁. Thanks for the inspiration and wishing you a happy and creative week! J 😊

Art By Wanda said...

Thanks so much, Everyone!!!

Lessa, I'm sorry I forgot to include that information. The stamp is from Our Daily Bread Designs. Thank you!!!

SewPaperPaint said...

In a million years I never would have thought to use acetate with these dies, but wow oh wow is it ever cool! I adore the technique and have never heard of it, but certainly want to give it a try. I'm so tickled that you love this die and have already put it to good use. What a great combination of this precious scripture with the wildflower dies. <3 We are so thankful you shared with us at Mini Album Makers. Hugs, Autumn PS. Please make sure to check out our current giveaway on the blog! <3

Felicia said...

Well, obviously I agree with everyone here! That was truly clever Wanda! I am so going to have to try this. Love the coloring for that cover and the beautiful stamp. I love their stamps they are just wonderful to use, but I love that company! I totally want to try making a journal. I have never done it for fear of The Binding process. I have been checking out some YouTube videos and now seeing what you've done I've really got to try it! Good job my friend as always! By the way I hope you win those challenges! You deserve it!

Gloria Stengel said...

Totally forgot about that acetate technique! It was all the rage YEARS ago when the alcohol inks first came out. I remember doing loads of this, but...it have not done so in a very long time! You really have inspired me to give it another go! Super colors...I am just...wow...loving this!!! Thanks for joining us at Mini Album Makers this month!

Words and Pictures said...

Wow - such a cool effect with the fiery acetate - the silhouettes look amazing against it. Thanks for joining us at Mini Album Makers.
Alison x

Nancy Wethington said...

This technique is wonderful! Need to try this myself. Your Eilleen Hull mini book turned out beautifully. Thanks for joining the challenge at Mini Album Makers Challenge blog.

Inna Bronnikova said...

Beauty! Wonderful cover! This technique is wonderful!Thanks for joining us at Mini Album Makers.

MakaArt said...

So fresh, spring colours! Wonderful! ;-)