Sunday, July 26, 2020

6 x 6 MDF Artist's Board - He Watches Me



Hello!!!  It's been Hot and Humid here in southern Iowa the past few days but it's supposed to storm tonight and cool off by about 10 degrees for this next week.  I'll take it!!!

I had a lot of fun creating this piece.  It's done on a 6" x 6" mdf artist's board.


I began with a coat of gesso brushing it on roughly and allowing the brush strokes to stay.  After the gesso was dry, it was painted with Distress Paint, splattered with water, and allowed to dry.


In this picture you can see all the wonderful texture from the brush strokes and the extra illusion of texture with the water splatters.


Stenciling was added with Distress Paint using a Distress Blending brush.  


Subtle but, oh, so nice!!!


I love this Tim Holtz Idea-ology Collage Paper.  To tear out what you want to use just make a wet line using a paint brush or water brush and it will tear right apart.  I glued it down with Distress Collage Medium and also added it over the collage paper sealing it in.


More paint was added here and there with my finger to further blend in the paper and also did more stenciling.


Birds, branches, and a nest need leaves.  I put both colors of Distress Paint on my Glass mat, spread them thin with my finger allowing the 2 colors to intertwine but not blend so much that you lose each color, pressed in the stamp and stamped onto the board.  I did not use a stamping block so I could bend the stamp and choose where the image went.


The bird was die cut from Distress Water Color Cardstock and colored with Distress Paint.  Later I added some more detail with a Posca paint pen. 


Leafy branches were die cut from Mixed Media Paper, sprayed with Distress Spray Stain and allowed to air dry.


I took the leaves out of my spray box, set them aside to dry, and there was lots of stain puddled so I grabbed a tag to mop it up.  I dried a layer and went back for a second mopping.


Twine was sprayed a bit with Antique Linen Spray Stain and dried.  The leaves were glued to a stick from my yard and wrapped with the twine to be sure they couldn't come lose.  The bird was attached with two layers of foam tape.  The words were computer generated, printed onto cardstock, cut out, Distress paint sponged on, and they were glued to the board with Distress Collage Medium.


I Love how this turned out!!!!!  I hope you like it too!!

Hugs, Wanda


3 comments:

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Stunning! Oh the green and those birds and the branches, all fabulous!

Jamie Dinnsen said...

So beautiful, Wanda - thanks for sharing!

Loraine’s Lovely Creations said...

Magnificent!