Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Most Wonderful Time 3D Poinsettia Christmas Card


Hello from rainy Southern Iowa.  We are happy for the rain and I'm sure the farmers are even happier.  Much of Iowa has been in a drought and our grass was turning brown.  Of course, this means the lawn is going to need to be mowed.

I'm sharing another card made with the new Sizzix, Tim Holtz Poinsettia 3D Texture Fade.  This is such a wonderful embossing folder!!!  There are so many looks that can be done.  I've been seeing some gorgeous cards on Instagram and in the FB group, Tim Holtz Addicts.

For this card I began with Metallic Kraft Stock paper and embossed the image.


I cover the whole panel with Distress Black Soot paint, let it sit a bit and then wiped back the paint.  It's even more gorgeous in person.


I wanted more texture and used an old Tim Holtz hammer tool.  One of the heads that can be put on has metal bumps.  I set the paper on a thin slightly cushy material that was in the Susan's Garden line at Elizabeth Craft Designs and was used with tool on leaves to give them detail.   A piece of mat board or chip board might work well.  You don't want anything too cushy or you will make holes in your paper.


Next I used largest Stacked Label die.  I was somewhat hesitant as I wasn't sure what it would do to the 3D embossing but it worked just pressing some of the 3D down a bit.  I did later put it back in the folder and run it through my Vagabond just once to pop up the high spots that were pushed down.


For the next layer I cut a piece of paper from this seasonal paper stack.


The paper was dipped in some Fired Brick ink sprayed with water to give it a bit of color.


Archival Ink was sponged around the embossed piece and Distress Ink around the pattern paper.  Later I also added some Festive Berries Distress Ink on the edge of the patterned paper.


I thought the poinsettias needed more then just ink and also added Distress Embossing Glaze.


Alcohol ink was dripped onto the Idea-ology Christmas Quote Token, dried, and then Picket Fence Distress Crayon rubbed into the words.  Eventually the white crayon took on some of the alcohol ink color but still looked good.


Some ribbon to tie on the quote token and a green folded card to finish things up.


I think I make some more cards similar to this using other colors of Metallic Kraft Stock.  Hmmm, maybe a darker metallic color and then white paint.  I might just have to go do that right now :-))

Thanks so much for following along!!!!

Hugs, Wanda


6 comments:

Unknown said...

THank you for the wonderful instructions! Beautiful card! PS -- I grew up in Des Moines. Iowa is a lovely place.

Daria said...

This is just gorgeous! Your instructions were so exact, thank you so much for that. Not everyone does that well. Love your card and thank you for sharing.

sarascloset said...

I just love how rich that black paint on the metallic card looks! It's a beautiful antiquing technique, further enhanced with the 'hammering' and your entire card is so elegant.

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

WOW, the metallic and the black paint are perfect for this embossing folder. Gorgeous!

Christy @ csrhoades50@hotmail.com said...

Gonnaha e to try this, it’s a favorite due this season for me also, I just decorated several gift bags using it, but now I have to try your technique! GORGEOUS!!!

Anonymous said...

Love this technique. I have this folder and have already started preparing my cards for this yeas Christmas cards. I am going to antique the design and try adding the ink colors as you did. Thanks for sharing the possibilities.