Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Leather Journal/Scrapbook


Hi There!!!  I hope you had a wonderful Christmas day!!!

This is a book I made for a Christmas gift (by request).  My step-daughter already has one leather journal and had used it as a scrapbook.  She took a trip to Maine this year and had asked for another book she could use as a scrapbook.  The book is large.  I bought acid free cardstock that was 11" x 17" and folded them in half for the signatures - 8 signatures with 7 folded papers each.  Lots of room for pictures, etc.  I stamped an image of a lighthouse, die cut in an oval, added color and spray sealed the image.  Under it is an oval cut from Tim Holtz gold metallic surface.  This is a peel and stick paper.  After sticking it on, I put an acrylic block over it, weighted it down and left it overnight for, hopefully, a bond that will last.  The lighthouse is glued on with Collage Medium Matte.  I put a blue velvet paper liner inside the leather cover.  I thought blue was a good choice thinking about the coast and the ocean.  I used waxed linen thread to sew in the signatures and left extra hanging to make dangles with beads, charms, and the word Maine.  Stretchy cord was used for keeping the book closed. 

I hadn't made a book in long time and had a really good time with it!!!



I'm linking this to the December Mini Album Makers Challenge where the theme is always Any Handmade Book.  


7 comments:

JennyH said...

I love your leather book Wanda, the contrasting thread and beady dangles are a wonderful touch : )

Nancy Wethington said...

What a wonderful journal. Love that leather cover and the added beads to the signature ties. I bet your mini was a huge hit. Thanks for joining the challenge at Mini Album Makers.

SewPaperPaint said...

This is so incredibly cool Wanda! I love the gorgeous lighthouse and amazing beaded detail. I'm sure she was thrilled with this gift. Hope you had a very merry Christmas. Thanks for sharing your work with us at Mini Album Makers. Hugs, Autumn

Redanne said...

I love working in leather too Wanda, it is so tactile and I love your beautiful cover with the lovely lighthouse embellishment. Great finishing detailing with the beads too! Thanks so much for sharing your journal with us at Mini Album Makers. Anne x

Gloria Stengel said...

Oh, I love a chubby journal with lots of pages! This is perfect. The leather is spectacular! Thanks for sharing your work with Mini Album Makers Challenge.

Words and Pictures said...

Such a smart journal - the leather is so stylish, and I love the dangle binding decorations. Thanks so much for playing along at Mini Album Makers.
Alison x

Inna Bronnikova said...

What a wonderful journal! Thanks for joining us at Mini Album Makers Challenge!