Tuesday, April 12, 2011

MAC #8

MAC = Making Art Challenge... and we are on challenge #8 on the Everything Wendy Vecchi Yahoo Group.  The criteria this time.... LOTS of grungepaper flowers (3 at a minimum) and a perfectly pearled grungepaper object separate from the flowers.  The art being shared on the Wendy group is fabulous!!!!  If you like any of Wendy's products I would highly recommend joining the group!!!  

I'm a little short of time so won't get into a lot of detail (but will come back later).  The base, frame, upper right corner leaf, and bottle are all art parts. The flowers (except the lighter blue) and lower left corner leaves are grungepaper.  The paint brushes are grungeboard.  The butterflies are Clearly for Art.  Coloring is Distress Stains, Distress Inks, Archival Inks, Snow Cap Pigment Ink, Perfect Pearl Mists, Color Wash Sprays, alcohol inks and Paint Dabber.



OK, I am back with more details about my project.  There were several questions about the spiral flowers so I spent quite some time looking through my deleted emails folder (good thing I hadn't cleaned it out in awhile) trying to find where I had last seen them.... well first I was searching on youtube because I was thinking it was a video and there are videos there showing this type of flower if you want to go searching... but I couldn't find the one I wanted so then I went looking through deleted emails... and I finally found it.  Go HERE for a great step-by-step tutorial on these flowers.  Now I have seen these before, plenty of times, and thought "I need to try these some day" and I guess the day finally came.  The lighter blue flower is cardstock with Distress Inks - it was laying on my work area and I thought "I wonder how that would look with grungepaper"... so I made one... and it looked great!!!  So I made more.  I used Distress ink on one of them and then I'm pretty I used Distress Stains on one and Color Wash Spray on the other.  I also used Perfect Pearls spray on them all after they were put together but before I added the pearl.  The pearls in the spiral flowers are just old ones I had around.  All the stamps I used in this project are Wendy Vecchi Studio 490 images.  The little flowers are a stamp on grungepaper, cut out, inked with Distress Stains, and stamped with a background image... sticky back pearls in the center of those.  The base and frame are the large square Art Parts so my finished size is 5 1/2" square.  They are both inked with the Stains (broken china for the base and weathered wood for the frame)... stamped the background images with Archival Ink plum.  The hanging leaves across the top are stamped with Archival Ink olive.  I had originally stamped the saying on the background but decided it needed to be lightened up a bit so I grabbed a scrap of Ranger's manila cardstock, inked it with broken china Distress ink, tore the top and bottom, inked the edges with dusty concord and a brown Distress Ink, stamped it with the bubble background using Archival Ink olive and then the saying with jet black.  The leaf Art Part was colored with peeled paint Stain, stamped the dots with olive, added shading around the edges with peeled paint... wanted more shading and variation so I used my finger to dab on some snow cap pigment just by some points, dried it and inked over it with forest moss also using the edge of my ink pad to add some "vein" lines on the 2 larger end leaves.  The Art Parts bottle was stamped with the corresponding image using jet black and then the bottle label stamped on manila card.  Inked the bottle with broken china and also the label.  Cut out the label and added it to the bottle.  Added some Glossy Accents onto the bottle at the top and bottom avoiding the label.  The grungepaper leaves are stamped with olive, cut out, colored with Stain and sprayed with Perfect Pearls.  The paintbrushes are stamped on grungeboard with jet black, the handles inked with tea dye and then Paint Dabber added to the brush area - Adirondack purple twilight and sailboat blue and Jenni Bowlin malted milk.  I also sprayed matching colors of Perfect Pearls Mist on the purple and blue leaving the off  white with shimmer.  The butterflies are stamped on Clearly For Art with Snow Cap pigment ink, dried gently, cut out (you do need to be a little careful as the white can scratch off), colored on the flip side with alcohol inks, and heated to shape.  I finished up with a little bit of black stitching with a fine point pen around the edges of the frame.



11 comments:

Marjie K said...

Great job, Wanda! Those wrapped/rolled type flowers are so unusual and the whole piece is just gorgeous.

Netty said...

Oh wow Wanda this is so gorgeous, you may have converted me to buying Wendy's stamps. Such beautiful detail. Have a great week, Annette x

Von said...

Wonderful piece Wanda I thought it was bigger till I saw your hand lol love all the eleiments you have on such a small work of art :)
Von x

Lori said...

Very cool, Wanda! Love all those flowers!

Ruby's Girl said...

Love this Wanda! Very Cool!
Judy

Nancy said...

I so love this! The colors & all are wonderful!!

Yogi said...

oh this is so pretty. Love those flowers and the buterflies and the litle tags

papillon said...

very lovely! love everything about it. love it so much that you have me convinced: i'm signing up for ATWV!

Eileen said...

Very lovely, and those spiral flowers are amazing! I went to the link and I couldn't believe how easy they are to do. Thanks for sharing!

Laura said...

Wonderful creation! Love all the elements and colours. The spiral flowers are a clever and creative addition! Thanks for visiting.

Alison said...

Gorgeous! I love the butterflies! x