Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Stencil Spritz


Everything about this card just sort of happened today. I was in the middle of a completely different project... that I needed to get in the mail... and I had my color wash sprays out. So I'm working away and... boom... my mind suddently switches to brass stencils and what if I spray the brass stencil and take a print. I couldn't let it go, went and dug out a brass stencil and just had to try it... real quick :-)) The stencil I used it is a Dreamweaver's stencil and one of the newest ones I've gotten from Quietfire Design. It has 2 beautiful butterflies on it. What I did was hold the stencil above my craft sheet letting it lay on my finger so I wasn't touching any edges or the front. I sprayed it with diluted color wash sprays wild plum and butterscotch, layed the stencil carefully on some scrap paper so I didn't disturb the front, took a piece of white cardstock, layed it on the stencil, pressed well, and took it off. It worked!!! Way cool!!! I did a few working to get a little better print.. varying the amount of spray etc... and then I was good and set it aside, finished my other project and got it in the mail :-)) After that then I took one of my prints and made this card. I tore out the print and stamped the calligraphy image (Quietfire Design) with Versamark and embossed it with detail black. But... the words weren't straight, which bugs me really bad and so I was trying to figure out if I could do something to save it rather than toss it. It was already torn too close to the butterflies to re-tear it... So I thought about laying it on at an angle to make the words straight but having a layer crooked would have bugged me too... I had to find a way to make it all look right. I decided to layer it on green and then poked holes and added the metallic thread... it evened things up and made it look like it was supposed to come out that way. I think I succeeded. In the process I got a card I really like. I layered the green to pink and then to a deep pink folded card.

10 comments:

ArtCricket said...

The atc and the card are both beautiful!

Yogi said...

Yup, it worked out fabulously. Isn't it nice when our minds go off in tangents and the tangent works. Neat. Will have to try it too. Of course we could always use dye ink pads or pigment ink pads and clear emboss it. OK I'll stop now. Love the colors and your "fix". Crooked bugs me too.

Kelly said...

beautiful and stunning card!

Evidence of an Artistic Life said...

Very neat experiment-it turned out beautiful! Great explanation of your new technique!
chris

Lindart said...

Very cool Wanda! I'll have to try this!

Sandie R said...

This is lovely, crooked or not it looks like it was ment to be this way.

Quietfire Style said...

Wow! This is a knockout! Just lovely!!!

Shirley said...

I want to try the whole thing. A really great card front! TFS, Wanda

Cindy Roland said...

It is an amazing card and more beautiful in person than any scan could do justice for. I am so lucky to have it for my collection!! Thanks Wanda!!

disa said...

I love it ! Very creative ! That's actually really cool Thanks.