Monday, October 16, 2017

Simon Says: It's A Dogs Life



This week on the Simon Says Monday Challenge we've got - It's A Dogs Life.  

As always Simon Says Stamp will be giving away a $50 voucher to shop at their store.




I had a lot of fun (an some frustrating moments) creating this ornament using one of the crazy dogs from the Tim Holtz/Stamper's Anonymous set, Mini Cats & Dogs along with the matching die.  The trees inside the ornament are part of the Tim Holtz/Sizzix thinlits Tree Line cutting die. I first tried these items using card stock but I could not roll it up, get it inside, and unroll it without making lines and creases in the paper...  So I've used White Yupo Paper.  I stamped the dog with Archival Ink Jet Black, die cut it, and then used the Detailer Water Brush and Distress Inks to color it.  Nope, that wasn't easy either and it took quite a bit of time and using the heat tool a little at a time to get the coloring dry.  I used Tim Holtz Alcohol Inks to color trees.  So much easier :-)  For the "snow" inside the ornament I've used a few things - Scotch Create Permanent Tacky Glue, Sparkly Fluff, Glossy Accents, and Rock Candy Dry Glitter.  First I was using the Sparkly Fluff and it wouldn't keep it's "whiteness" with the clear glue but worked really well with the white glue except that static cling also caused it to stick everywhere inside the ornament, lol.  I still like it and was able to go in with a small piece of a Swiffer sheet using tweezers and clean much of it off the front area of the ornament so things were easier to see.  I left the back as I like that it looks like the snow blowing around.  When I decided I need more "snow" in the bottom partially for support for the dog and trees and also just for more "ground cover" I thought some glitter would also look nice and added that with the clear glue.  Over all I think it turned out well.  Finally I added some Tim Holtz Baubles to the inside for some added color and fun. They are colored with Alcohol Inks, Red Pepper and Mushroom.



On the top of the ornament I've used one of the dies from the Tim Holtz/Sizzix Holiday Greens Mini set.  I cut three of the pine branch pieces from green card stock, added shading with Distress Ink Pine Needles and splattered them with Distress Paint Tarnished Brass. Also used is Tim Holtz Crinkle Ribbon (dyed with Distress Ink Festive Berries), Metallic Ribbon, Jump Rings, and a Tidings Token (Tarnished Brass paint around edges and Picket Fence Distress Crayon in the letters).


It was also difficult getting good pictures so I've taken extra (many more than I'm sharing even) and hopefully you can see how great this turned out.  I'm pretty sure my daughter is going to claim it :-)

I hope you've enjoyed today's project!!!!

Hugs, Wanda









16 comments:

Lorraine A said...

what a gorgeous Christmas decoration Wanda! the little pup is adorable and I love the whole snow scene you created here, a labour of love, but well worth the time and effort, this is stunning!! :-)

I am going to have a go at making some of these for my animal loving friends and family :-) what a great gift idea!!

Luv
Lols x x x

Macarena said...

This is so cool! I love the idea of making this snow ball. Hugs, Marzena

Catherine said...

This is so adorable, Wanda! I love the snow and Christmas bulbs and the pretty ribbon at the top. So cool!

Cathie ♥

Quietfire said...

lol! Great project Wanda!

Krista Hentges said...

Omg mom!!! This is the most awesomest adorable thing ever!!! I absolutely love it!!!!

I'm a Little Teapot said...

Congrats on the spotlight, Wanda! Your project is AWESOME!!

(If your daughter doesn't claim it, I will!)

Meihsia Liu said...

This is such a fun and fantastic Holiday creation! Wanda. Love your brilliant design! :)

Maura said...

Wanda, tour pup ornament s just adorable! What a Grea ornament to add to your tree this year! Hugs, Maura

Stephanie said...

Gorgeous ornament, Wanda! Love the detailing!! : )

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Andrea Ockey Parr said...

This is so adorable! I am loving the way you created a 3D scene that looks so frosty and cozy at the same time. Great elements and so creatively put together!

Barbara said...

Wanda this is the most cute ornamnent that I saw! crazy dog is perfect in this Christmas version! Barbara

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, what a fabulous Christmas ornament! I can't believe that you managed to get your beautiful crazy dog inside - you did such a fantastic job, it looks amazing 😁. I love it! Wishing you a happy week! J 😊 p

Anna-Karin said...

Such a wonderful idea for the challenge! The ornament is really fantastic and so special. I love all the snow and loved reading about the process of making the ornament. It is going to look so wonderful up in the tree.

Emma Williams said...

Oh Wanda, what a gorgeous little Christmas ornament and such a fabulous interpretation of the challenge...this is just adorable and I LOVE it! :)

Kath Stewart said...

your project is adorable Wanda, how cute is that pup inside his very own Christmas ornament hugs kath xxx

Sandra said...

Wonderful Christmas ornament, Wanda! Love the snow and the cute doggie. Hugs, Sandra