Tuesday, February 15, 2011

CBC - Quilts or Stitching


I have had a package of ExtravOrganza for at least a few years and as I thought about this challenge it started calling to me "Hey... look here... I've been waiting a long time for you to use me and the time is now!".. so of course I had to agree.  The collage image is printed on the ExtravOrganza... VERY cool!!! It worked great!!!  And since I printed the whole digital sheet, you'll be seeing more things with the other images I have.  Next I took a piece of muslin, rubbed on a little distress ink (I actually just used what was already on the foam applicators from previous uses, didn't reink), and stitched the ExtravOrganza on top.  Now I'm not a big sewer (translated I've done very little - HomeEc in high school and since then mostly just simple mending when needed)... but it too has been calling to me lately (I sewed on some atcs a few weeks ago).  My machine was giving me fits when I first started stitching the pieces together... I had to stop and pull threads a couple of times but I didn't want to waste the image so I persevered (and used some flowers to cover the really bad spot).  I like it and the very subtle colors showing through from the Distress Inks.  The background printed paper is Prima Fairy Floral.  The saying is stamped on the same paper in a quieter area, cut out, edges inked, and the heart colored in with a Tombow marker.  The butterfly is stamped onto grungepaper with Distress Ink pine needles, cut out, Distress Ink scattered straw sponged over it to add color to the open areas, and the lock attached to it with brads.  Faux stitching with a black pen around the edges of the background.

Details of the challenge can be found either on the Created Byhand Challenge Blog or on the Quietfire Creations Forum.


2 comments:

Lori said...

Another gorgeous piece! And the sewing adds such a great texture and feeling to a piece, I love it!

Yogi said...

beautiful. Love the way you used the photo holder on the butterfly. That background paper is gorgeous